Skip to content

Can I get compensated when my spouse is negligently injured?

The simple answer is you may be eligible to make a loss of consortium claim. Due to the complex issues with loss of consortium you will want to consult with an attorney before pursuing this type of claim.

Definition of consortium:

The Merriam Webster dictionary defines consortium as “the legal right of one spouse to the company, affection, and assistance of and to sexual relations with the other”

But wait, family matters too.

The ability to make a claim isn’t limited to spouses.  When the parent-child relationship is affected due to loss of company, affection or assistance.

Things to discuss with your attorney

Be certain to ask about limitations in your particular claim when discussing your claim with an attorney.  Keep in mind if your claim is based on impairment to your sexual relationship, you will need to be able to discuss your sexual relationship.  Contact one of our attorneys for a free initial consultation to see if a loss of consortium claim makes sense for you.


Back To Top